Click here to skip to main content.
 

Showcase

In this section we have highlighted some of the collections that create a rich historical resource for the history of the Teesside region.

Workhouse Records


From 1837 until 1875 Middlesbrough was part of the Stockton Poor Law Union . The Middlesbrough Poor Law Union was set up 25th June 1875 following a population increase due to the industrial boom in the town . The new Middlesbrough Union comprised Eston , Hemlington , Ingleby Barwick , Linthorpe , Maltby , Marton , Middlesbrough , Normanby , Ormesby , Stainton , Thornaby and West Acklam . Unemployment was exceptionally high in 1875 - 76 and in 1879 , before the new Middlesbrough Workhouse was ready , 300 paupers had to be housed in workhouses in Darlington , Guisborough , Stokesley and Stockton . Three Labour Test Yards were also set up where Poor Relief was given in return for manual work usually stone breaking . The St Barnabas Road Workhouse was erected in 1877-78 between St Barnabas Road and Ayresome Green Lane . There was a Main Building to accommodate up to 726 inmates , a pavilion - plan hospital with 120 beds and a school to accommodate around 200 children . In 1888 a permanent Test Yard was set up with workshops , day room , dormitories and a Test Master's House and 24 cells .
View Record

Miscellaneous Documents

This collection consists of small deposits, many of which are single items. The quality may vary but many interesting items are included in this collection. There are maps, plans, rare photographs, deeds and personal papers. All relate to the history of Teesside and the subjects covered include theatre, cinema, football as well as more traditional items associated with archives. Finding items in this collections has been difficult in the past because they have never been searchable electronically and many had been unlisted. Two of our volunteers have added this collection to the catalogue and listed the previously uncatalogued material.
View Record

Cleveland County Council


This collection consists of the official records relating to lifetime of Cleveland County Council. They include the Proceedings of the Cleveland County 1973-1996 that fill over 40 volumes. The work of the county was varied and the records here reflect that and include deposits from the Architects, Engineers and Planning Departments as well as those of the Fire Service, Social Service and trading standards. The archive service was established during this period and our holdings also include the official records of Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Stockton and Redcar & Cleveland Borough Councils as well as those of predecessor authorities and those of the old Rural District Councils.
View Record

The Middlesbrough Exchange Company Limited

On 12 April 1864 the question of an Exchange for Middlesbrough was brought before the Chamber of Commerce for the Town who resolved to appoint a committee to consider the matter fully. It was proposed on 15 April 1864 that a company be promoted under the Limited Liability Act (1862) with a capital of £20 000 in 1 000 shares of £20 each and to be called the Middlesbrough Exchange Company Limited. This was to be located in the flat of land situated near the Stockton and Darlington Railway called Albert Place. The Articles of Association were incorporated on 20 July 1864. By September 1868, 909 shares had been sold. At this time it was agreed to prefix 'Royal' to the Exchange Hall and buildings, which were built by raising a mortgage (£13 800 in March 1873). The rooms were rented out to people and companies, as reflected in this collection.
View Record
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022