Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref NoBS.MEX
LevelFonds
TitleThe Middlesbrough Exchange Company Limited
Date1853 - 1970
DescriptionThis collection contains: Memorandum and Articles of Association Apr 1925; Directors Meetings Minutes 12 Apr 1864- Mar 1970; Register of Directors 1948-1970; Register of Documents Sealed 9 Apr 1936-15 Dec 1967; Register of Shareholders, Members and Holdings 1864-1970; Register of Mortgages 1929-Nov 1952; Transfer Registers and Forms 1868-1970; Certificates Share and Debenture Jan 1867-Dec 1969; Letter Files 1864-1869; Correspondence, Secretaries Jan 1895-Nov 1935; Departmental Administration 1866-1935; Balance Sheets, Profit and Loss Accounts 1869-1970; General Ledgers Jan 1877-Mar 1970; General Journals Jun 1869-Mar 1970; Cash Books Feb 1890-Mar 1970; Rent Account Nov 1868-Nov 1888; Trade Statistics and Merchants Circulars Dec 1853-1926; Photographs 1864-c1865; Press Cuttings Nov 1866; List of names of the original directors and laying of foundation stone 1866 and Time Book Sep 1934-Jan 1942.
AdminHistoryOn 12 April 1864 the question of an Exchange for Middlesbrough was brought before the Chamber of Commerce for the Town who resolved to appoint a committee to consider the matter fully. It was proposed on 15 April 1864 that a company be promoted under the Limited Liability Act (1862) with a capital of £20 000 in 1 000 shares of £20 each and to be called the Middlesbrough Exchange Company Limited. This was to be located in the flat of land situated near the Stockton and Darlington Railway called Albert Place. The Articles of Association were incorporated on 20 July 1864. By September 1868, 909 shares had been sold. At this time it was agreed to prefix 'Royal' to the Exchange Hall and buildings, which were built by raising a mortgage (£13 800 in March 1873). The rooms were rented out to people and companies, as reflected in this collection.

In November 1966, the Company received a direction from its parent company to make a subvention payment to Dorman Long (Steel) Limited in respect of that company's deficit. The company was dissolved in March 1970, under The Steel Companies (Dissolution) (No.1) Order 1970, laid before Parliament.
LanguageEnglish
AccessStatusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022